July 06, 2005
We don't need no software patents!
First got the news on the LUG-BG mailing list, then via Peio and Yovko: the European Parliament has slammed its collective fist and shot down the awfully misguided directive referring, among other things, to software patenting! A vote of 648 vs. 14 - truly, madly amazing! To say the truth, I did not hold much hope, I'd pretty much resigned and made all kinds of emergency plans - and then there they go and, er, well, not exactly disappoint me, no, sir!
Then, Google News started spewing all kinds of links:
- NewsForge - No software patents in Europe
- EUpolitix - MEPs kill EU software patents
- BusinessWeek - Law allowing EU software patents opposed
- eWeek - EU rejects controversial software patents proposal
- Bloomberg - European Parliament Rejects Law on Software Patents
- The Register - EU Parliament bins software patents bill
Yep, it's time to celebrate!
Posted by roam at July 6, 2005 04:32 PM